08 October 2008

Aberdonian Sights, Smells, and...People

It is now only one week away from being one month since I last wrote an update on my blog. My intention to update several times each week has, obviously, been overtaken by other things. I wish there was some sort of device for recording all the things I see and hear on a daily basis and a way to transfer the images and sounds to you. (I know, a video camera would do just that, and it's simple enough to transfer via internet; but do you really expect me to carry one around everywhere and at all times, and then to spend my time uploading and e-mailing video files? Surely there's a better way...?)


I would like to aim for more frequent updates, though, so I may end up typing out the various things I experience from day to day even if they are interesting only to me.


To catch you up briefly, here's a quick summary of my past [nearly one] month:
  • I have become very creative with my meals. Some of you may think I was already 'creative' enough before coming here, but the creativity is now even better (or worse!) For instance, I am currently eating my dinner (or "supper" or "tea" or "the third meal of the day"...) which consists of store-bought mushroom/cheese tortellini, suger-snapped peas, and red and yellow peppers, tossed with my favorite moisturizer: Olive Oil. ;) I have always been keen on "one-dish" meals, so this turned out great (except I used 3 different dishes to cook the one-dish meal.) Omelettes have become a favorite, for sure- deli turkey, peppers (again) and shredded cheese make the perfect combination with eggs, of course. Mom, I am thankful you have made so many omelettes over the years; otherwise I might be stuck with plain, boring, scrambled eggs! I have also had my fair share of Wheat Thins and Oreos as of late, thanks to my dear friend, Kristine. It was like Christmas to open up that package!

  • Enough about food. It's really not all that exciting, unless I discover a new concoction that tastes so good. Mochas also taste good here, just as yummy as in America. Shoot. I was hoping to get off caffeine and save some pennies! I solved the latter today by finally purchasing a coffee maker for the flat. I will now have no excuse to buy that tasty mocha at school during breaks.

  • I have received confirmation about how much Scots love their booze. And cigarettes. Oh, the glorious sounds and smells...

  • Onto brighter things, we now have a 5th girl in our flat. The Irish gal never showed up but we are blessed with a beautiful Nigerian singer. This morning I awoke to her singing along to Kirk Franklin. : ) She is fun and I think we will become good pals.
  • I have met LOTS of people, all so interesting in their own right. I have had to swallow pride and ask for directions on numerous occasions, which has repeatedly led to great conversations with folks. Aside from the various smells I generally enjoy riding the buses here. One of the most unexpected yet flattering things I have heard so far was, "Why, that's the most beautiful accent I've heard all day! Where do ya come from?" If you could hear the voice in my head, you just might find more humor in that statement!

  • I have been getting to know a couple of girls, in particular, who are both from Germany. I greatly enjoy their company and I know God crossed our paths for good reasons. There are several other internationals I've met but I haven't had much time with them yet. I am glad to be in such an international city!

  • Most importantly, I suppose- I started my course on the 23rd of September. It has been great so far. We're receiving loads of information which is somewhat overwhelming, but I feel okay about it overall. There is an unusual but neat sense of unity in our group of 30+ students; we all seem to be in this together and supportive of one another despite the different walks of life we represent. I think I am right on track so far; I met with my "personal tutor" yesterday afternoon, and I got the impression that she approves of my progress up to this point. Good!

  • My time to explore has really become limited since beginning the course. I am somewhat sad about that, but I know I will have plenty of time here to venture out and see the beauty of natural Scotland. I did get to take a couple of hiking trips, though. Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure.... the first two are at Bennachie hill with Phil and Toto (and baby Esther), good friends here in Aberdeen; the other two are at Scolty Hill in Banchory, and the girl in the photo with me is Susanne, one of the German friends I mentioned earlier.




I have TONS more pictures here, if you'd like to see more of the Scotland I've seen so far. : )

I really need to sign off for now and work on school stuff. Blah. I DO actually enjoy the course, I am just "knackered" this evening and still need to read a few things before bed, hence the 'blah. ;)



I think that is the main stuff from my previous days that you might want to know. I will try to write again in a few DAYS, not months! Let me know if there are specific things you want to hear about. Before I forget, here are just a few pics of the flat (and a beautiful view from the top of the tower/my castle... : )

the lovely blue sphere in the middle of our flat- the first thing seen when walking in. purpose? I haven't a clue. Although it does house our two toilets. My room is the lighter-blue door to the left. There are 5 rooms within the circular hallway, I guess it would be called?

the kitchen- actually quite spacious, thankfully! And it has a perfect view of the river. I'm glad I am tall enough to see out those windows!

one corner of my room- hard to get a good shot of the room...it's just so small and my camera can't seem to get the right range. I will put more photos of the room on that same Picasa album linked above

the best part of living here! I wish I could say this is the view from my window, but it's actually from the very top of the tower where we have a kind of observation deck.

Alrighty, folks. I miss each of you in big ways. The homesickness has been minimal thus far, which I'm thankful for, but I still miss friends, family, and my little Bonnie dog. :) For now I will embrace the sights, the smells, and the people here in Aberdeen.

2 comments:

paintingsongs said...

Very cool sphere! Great background color for pictures. Eh? Eh? haha.

sarah w/a lisp said...

Hey! Sounds like things are going well. It looks I will not be able to come to Scotland. (the money for the trip just isn't there at this point) So, if you happen to some down my way let me know. I am praying for you.