28 October 2008

"Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow, Filling the sky and earth below, Over the housetops, over the street, Over the heads of the people you meet. Dancing, Flirting, Skimming along."


J.W. Watson


Greetings from the wintry north! I just had to hop on here and share the latest with you- it snowed this morning! And I got to see it in action! I didn't manage to take a photo while it was falling, but here is a shot from outside my window just a few moments ago. The snow is already melting from the beautiful sunshine we have this morning. Ahhh, what a special day.
I wish I could sit here and update you on every little bit of my past days but that would take several hours; I only have a few minutes between classes right now to eat some yummy soup and be "productive". : )
But to catch up briefly, I have re-discovered the extreme commitment required for university success. It has been quite distressing at moments, and I have had to re-prioritize a little bit; my say-yes-to-every-opportunity tendency from back home has to die. If I am spread too thin, I don't have much to offer to people, my course, or God- with whom I desperately need time and nurturing.
My days have slowed down a bit since re-organizing and minimizing my commitments; I have gotten into a better routine, although I still struggle with time management. Maybe someday I will really get it...
I am getting very interested in the things I'm learning in our classes, but I often find myself more concerned with my course mates- the lives they are living and the eternal uncertainty they hold. Knowing when to speak and when to be silent is a big question mark for me right now. When something is so special, so central to my life, I can't help but want to offer it to them. But when someone puts up their hands saying, "No thanks, I'm fine", what more can I do but pray? Hmmm...
I know there is a number of you reading who may not really be on the same page, and that's okay. This is a big part of my days here, so I want to share. And as much as I'd like to be more focused on the 'task at hand', I can't help but see the people around me, in their need for true LIFE. Jesus, and only Jesus, is the way, the truth, and the life. His words, not mine. I have found them to be so true.
Anyway, I continue to enjoy each aspect of this experience. As I sensed in the 'dreaming years' before coming here, there are still issues within me and this world is still in sad shape; my location has not made those things go away. But I am so thankful for the blessing of being here.
Some highlights are seeing dogs almost every day, out with their owners for a walk or play...observing little children on the buses or in shops with their parents...learning all the Scottish terms and phrases that are odd but sensible...hearing the wind outside my window, seeing the leaves on the ground from the wind's effects...
Arg, I really need to go for now. I know this blog update is random and not very coherent, but I just had to share my excitement of the snow with you. : ) Maybe next time it will be enough to make a snowman. I'll keep you informed.
With my love and a big smile,
jess

2 comments:

paintingsongs said...

North, South, East and West of me got snow today. Everywhere except Woodhaven. Now that's just wrong. =]
I am listening to the wind howl.

Kristin Nicole said...

I love reading your entries. :) It's making me quite excited for the day I apply to schools. (Although, I'm not sure when that will be yet. Maybe next year, since I will have more money by that time.)

Do you feel "old" there at all? I was nervous if I waited too long to go to graduate school - especially abroad - I would feel so out of place.

(You know, I could have just written on your facebook wall, but this is fun, too.)