I had a wonderful time at home for the Christmas/New Year's holidays. It was refreshing to have a break from school and comforting to simply be at home where I am loved and allowed to just be. There is nothing quite like family. And I certainly needed that time with them after being away for several months.
While I was home my brother proposed to his girlfriend, Maria, so that was pretty exciting. : ) It was a fun evening for all, as he had her parents, our parents, and me helping with various aspects. It was a great success (and a great laugh at certain points!) Here are a few photos from the special night...


They are already busy with the exciting task of preparing for the wedding, which will be in September. I should get to go home a month or so in advance, which I am happy about. I can't miss their special day! Plus I might need another family-fix after another few months away. :)
Let's see...I also got to see several of my friends in the Houston area and up in Belton/Temple/Austin/San Marcos area. I should have just classified that as Central Texas, but I like being specific. So yes- had lots of coffee and meals with people who warm my heart and bring me laughter...it was so good! I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to see, but hopefully will be able to see them next time around. I loved getting to meet a couple little babies who were born after I moved here. That was special!
I took up ANY opportunity to drive while I was home. : ) "Do we need milk? I'LL GO GET IT!" It was a blessing to have control of the wheel and take to the open road. I do not, however, miss the busy traffic and the crazy drivers.
It was slightly strange to be home; the 3.5 months I was away just felt like a dream, really. Back to reality, it seemed, when I arrived in Houston. Now that I'm back here in Aberdeen, my time home for Christmas seems like a dream. Funny how that works.
So I am back. Hmmm....mixed emotions galore. I experienced homesickness the first week back like I've never known before. It was tough. Thankfully I had a couple weeks to adjust back into life here before classes started up again. I needed that time but I think it also fostered more loneliness and homesickness than necessary. I don't do well with so much unstructured time on my hands, I've learned. But then again, I really love unstructured days sometimes.
I have enjoyed seeing my friends here again, so that's helped me transition back into a steady state. We started back to class this week, and on Wednesday I nearly packed my bags and said goodbye to the course. I'm much better now, after much encouragement and help from Emmanuel. I am breathing huge sighs of relief every few minutes, as the sources of stress from this week have finally disappeared. My last essay is in and that portion of the course is [hopefully] now behind me, barring any necessary resubmissions.
I should hear soon of where I'll have my placement (internship type experience). I will update you with that when I know something...I am excited to find out where I'll get to put some of this knowledge (no matter how minimal) to use!
I think that's about it for now...here are a few more photos from recent days. I continue to LOVE the river just below me. It has been a source of therapy for me, really. I now read scripture with more appreciation of any mention of 'rivers'. : )
Love to all,
jess


1 comment:
Thanks for putting up some pics. I'm glad you were able to get home for Christmas.
Post a Comment